January 26, 2009

Real Nightmare

Last summer
a tick bit my nipple
not on the the big knob part
but amongst the the little knob parts that I had scarcely noticed
before
I laid myself on the wicker couch on the screened-in porch
while my friend pulled out the bits with various match-treated
spikes
I looked away and listened to the birds like a child
now, in its place
there is a new knob
a scar knob, I guess
that itches from time to time in a vaguely pleasing way

Last night
I dreamt that it was very itchy
close examination revealed a black dot beneath the skin
I scratched off the covering
out popped half of a wiggling worm
the other half was still inside
it occurred to me that the worm may have embedded itself in my
heart
I felt guilty
the worm was pencil lead thickness and similarly black and shiny
there was some blood
I could not stop looking but was afraid someone else might see
I peeked under my cupped hand
my other hand pinched it
I could not hold it still
the animated nail
it was stronger than my fingers